Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sign of the Times




Obama continues the branding, this time without Shepard Fairey. This new logo, designed by Steve Juras, will appear on all projects funded with stimulus money. "The most important bits of direction were: Don't make it too governmental; don't make it too ponderous, or too serious," Juras told NPR. "And then also make sure you include references to education, health care and energy."

Uhm. OK. So we've got moving gears, a budding plant, and some stars. I'm not seeing education in this. Or energy for that matter. Though I'm probably supposed to pick up on that green color as a visual cue for green energy. You could convince me that the gears represent health care since they are clearly misaligned and likely move very, very, slowly.

I like the idea of a logo meant to make progress visible, but I'm going to have to give the execution of this one a thumb's down.